The Kerala State Science & Technology Museum is an autonomous organization designed to serve as a dynamic medium of science communication for the public and inculcating a sense of inquiry and scientific temperament in the minds of the young. The museum has galleries on electricity, electronics, power and motion mechanics with more than 300 exhibits, galleries on Popular Science, Mathematics, Auto mobile, Bio-medical Engineering, Computer and Solar energy, Priyadarsini Planetarium, Science Park, a Mobile Science Exhibition Unit, a Play Park with Educational playing devices, Energy Park, 3D theatre, Edusat Talk Back, Terminal, Energy ball, Motion simulator with 6 degrees of freedom and Laserium & Water fountain etc. A well equipped library is an important attraction of this museum.
Kerala State Science & Technology Museum is very popular among School, College and University students and general public. It also organizes science and technology awareness classes on a regular basis for students. Resource persons from the field of Engineering, Mathematics, Theoretical and Applied Science, Astronomy, Environment Sciences and other related areas are invited not only from Trivandrum but also from other parts of the state as well as from outside the state. Quiz competition in science & technology for school and college students are being held regularly.
It should be noted that State as an instrument of social transformation should play a positive role in the education, empowerment and employment of the common man.
Kindly note that there is no uneconomical or melt down project proposals. Kerala State Science & Technology is registered under charitable society act, and the activities of the same are fully depending on the State Government fund. Outcome of the Museum activities lead to intangible benefits in the form of empowerment of the whole society and human resource development of the state public especially the student community get the benefits.
The Administration of the museum is vested with Governing Body which consists 17 members. The Hon’ble Minister for Education, Kerala State is the Chairman. There is an Executive Committee headed by the Hon’ble Minister for Education. The Director of the Museum is responsible for conducting the day-to-day affairs of the museum.
Aims & Objects
- To stand as an effective medium of mass-communication for the dissemination of scientific literacy among all sections of the society with emphasis in taking science and technology to the common man.
- To portray the growth of science and technology through the ages, and the application of science and technology for the benefit of mankind.
- To serve as a Visual medium for highlighting the natural resources and industrial potentials, progress in industrialization; and the Research and Development activities of India in various fields of science and technology,with special emphasis to Kerala.
- To provide opportunity to the youth for giving concrete form in three dimension to their scientific and innovative thoughts by using the facilities in the Museum, and to inculcate a scientific temper in them.
- To organize and conduct suitable touring programmes such as Mobile Science Exhibitions, Scientific Film shows and classified training for the benefit of both the rural and urban populace.
- To establish and maintain regional/District Science Centres through which the activities of the Museum can be taken to other parts of the State.
- To organize and conduct science programmes such as Lectures, Seminars,Camps, Fairs etc. at District and State levels and to award Scholarships / Prizes to the selected individuals / Groups / Organisations.
- To conduct research in the history of science and technology with special reference to ancient Indian contributions.
- To organize and conduct temporary exhibitions, and work experience camps at the Museum and at other selected centres, in scientific topics of current interest and use to the society.
- To implement the programmes of “School Loan Services”, “Science Demonstration Lecturers” and teachers training for supplementing the formal system of science education in the State.
- To establish and function a planetarium and a roof-top observatory attached to the Museum for giving visual education to the visitors in Astronomy,Space Science and other related subjects.
- To develop and maintain the campus of the Museum as a Technology Garden together with a children’s “Science-amusement-Park”, making it a magnificient study-cum-recreation centre and a great tourist attraction in Kerala.
- To develop the Museum as a training centre in ‘Museum Technology and practice’ and to award degrees / diplomas after affiliation to one of the Universities in Kerala.
- To extend technical guidance to interested educational institutions and other agencies for setting up Science Centres / Technological Museums / Hobby Clubs / Creative ability Centres.
- To work in collaboration with Science and Technology Museums, industrial organizations, Research Centres, Professional Institutions, educational institutions and other suitable agencies in India and abroad for mutual benefit in general and for updating the Museum in particular.
- To depute suitable members of the staff of the Museum for special courses, trainings, seminars, workshops etc. on Science and Technology Museum activities and management or for visits to similar institutions in India or abroad.
- To publish news bulletins, guide-books, brochures, annual reports and any type of other literature relating to the Museum and its activities.
- To do all such things and to perform all such acts as may be necessary for the achievement of any or all of the above objects.